Monday, January 2, 2012

Today, my daughter had a college interview

Abi interviewed at Wake Forest University today! WOW! 1--I can't believe that she is old enough to go to college (more, I can't believe that I am old enough to have a daughter that old!) 2--I can't believe she is considering WFU--it is expensive!!!!  3--WFU seems like a wonderful school....I hope all goes well!

As I sat in the WFU Welcome Center, waiting while Abi was in her interview, I reflected on my own college application process.  I knew exactly what I wanted to do, where I wanted to go and why I wanted to go there. I wanted to be a band and/or orchestra teacher, I wanted to go to Gardner Webb College because I could continue to study with my flute instructor--music was the only thing I was interested in.

I double-majored in Music Education K-12 and Flute Performance.  I graduated in 4 years and made it through my student teaching while realizing that I really didn't want to teach large classes of teenagers and spend every weekend with them at high school football and basketball games.  Not to mention all of the concerts to prepare.  I also realized that I was not competitive enough to make it in performance.

The funny thing is that now, I have a house with many music instruments--flute, piano, violin (Abi's), cello (Emma's), ukulele (Em's), djembe (Jay's, although I like to play it, too), guitar (mine) and the latest--an acoustic/electric bass (MINE)!  I still love music, but my career has nothing to do with those degrees!
I learned many life lessons and I benefited greatly and occasionally use music in my work, but that isn't my profession.

My hope is that Abi (and Emma, too) will follow their dreams and do what brings them great joy! Also, I hope that my parents do not feel like I wasted all of those music lessons that they paid for from the time I was a 2nd grader taking piano lessons.  I must tell them "Thank you!"

I must remember that Abi will find her path and that she will have much support on the journey, whether the path leads her to WFU or somewhere else!

2 comments:

The Bug said...

I interviewed at Wake back in the day - & I was accepted, but I didn't get any financial aid there. AND I thought the admissions folks were snooty - ha! So I ended up at Mars Hill College instead - they were a lot nicer & I got a scholarship.

I don't use my accounting degree in my job either. But unlike you I also don't use it at home - Mike does our taxes. It was not really a good fit for me - but they didn't have a flibberdegibbit major, so I couldn't do that :)

I wish Abi well - college is a good thing.

Beth Kennett said...

Dana--thanks for the follow and the comments. I would like to major in flibberdegibbit!
I think I would be quite good at that!
Take care!
Peace,
Beth