Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Thanksgiving

I am working on the Thanksgiving service for HUCC for this coming Sunday. We are having an Artisans Fair following worship, with various artists from the church selling their artwork and sharing some of the proceeds with our Missions fundraising. This is the second year we have done this and I am very excited because so many people are recognizing things that they do as ART!
My plan is to have our worship space set up with tables around the outer edge, covered in the artwork of our "artisans". We will worship while surrounded by the many gifts that God has given to us.

How can we not be Thankful?

Even in this time of financial stress and decline, job lay-offs, and futures that are completely unknown; I have so much for which to be thankful! I have a wonderful family, I am in good health (reasonably so, at present I still have a lingering cold), I have many, many wonderful friends and colleagues. Life really is good! I am Thankful!

Lately, I have encountered several people who live life from a negative perspective. A part of me wants to just get in their faces and say to them--look at what you have! look at all that is around you! Don't be so negative! In this season of Thanksgiving, I want those around me to recognize how truly blessed we are and for what we have to be thankful.

Last summer, my family had the opportunity to visit Plymouth Plantation. It was in June and it was hot! The "villagers" were in costume and character. Their costumes appeared to be made of wool and, needless to say, there was no air conditioner. I realized, while walking through this village that really was very basic and simple (from a much earlier time) that I take way too much for granted. I have grown accustomed to a life of luxury and comfort and it is easy to forget that not everyone has what I have. I often see what others have that I don't have and fail to recognize how blessed I am.

So, today, I give thanks!

I relish in the many ways I have been blessed, I am thankful for the many gifts that I have, and I want to share my joy for living with all are willing to share with me. I am thankful for the opportunity to pause and remember to give thanks.

Peace!

No comments: