Monday, November 3, 2008

The Day Before Change

This morning, I asked my daughters what they were looking forward to today. After reflecting on this question, I realize I asked because I wasn't sure to or for what I was looking forward. Over the past few days I have had this creeping feeling of dread or dissatisfaction. I am not certain what it is about, but I am coming to the conclusion that it is about the unknown or my fear of upheaval. It is about feeling unsettled. After arriving at my office, I spoke with a friend who said to me, "I am a nervous wreck...I need for this day and the next day to be over." I asked what she meant, somewhat fearful that she had given her notice at her job, she replied, "The election." My friend and I both want the same candidate to win and we are ready for change. Change will happen! Tomorrow is a new day and with it will be new opportunities--opportunities to do things differently, to make different decisions, to follow a different path. Tomorrow, we will elect a new President of the USA and change will happen!

I have read the lectionary texts for this coming Sunday, and I am not overly excited about what I read--sort of that same feeling of dread and dissatisfaction. The texts are often used to reinforce second coming ideas. I want to live for today. I want to expect something wonderful and exciting to happen, today. I want to engage God's presence in this moment!

Maybe the change needs to happen in me. Maybe it is about a change in my thinking and hoping. Maybe this is the day before change in more ways than the presidential election!

I have a feeling today's posting will be a part of my sermon on Sunday...

No comments: